Irvine Chinese Immersion Academy (ICIA)
Irvine Chinese Immersion Academy (ICIA) is the first Irvine Unified School District approved Tuition-free TK-5 Mandarin Immersion Public Charter School.Lottery Form
ICIA Charter Petition received unanimous approval from the Irvine Unified School District Board on February 7, 2023. ICIA is the first-ever charter school authorized by IUSD and will enroll more than 400 students in the Mandarin Immersion program starting this fall. The first day of school is August 24, 2023. Now accepting lottery form applications for TK, Kindergarten, First, Second and Third Grade students for the 2023~2024 school year.
What We Offer
- 90:10 Progressive Immersion Model
- High Quality Dual Language Education
What we offer
- Experienced Credentialed Teachers
- Common Core Aligned Curriculum
- Arts and Cultural Enrichment
- Dual language In which the language goals are full bilingualism and biliteracy in English and a partner language. Students study language arts and other academic content (math, science, social studies and art) in both languages over the course of the program and the parter language is used for at least 50% of the instruction at all grades.
- Immersion Program As a form of dual language education, school-based immersion programs are intensive, subject-matter-driven language programs that aims for academic achievement, bilingual/biliterate development and increased cultural proficiency. Note: immersion program is not a foreign language program.
- Progressive Model
An immersion program in which students are instructed 90% of the time Chinese (the partner language) and 10% in English in the first year of two, with the amount of English instruction gradually increasing each year until English and Chinese (the partner language) are each used for 50% of the instruction (generally by third, forth or fifth grade) ICIA proposes the progressive model.